Thiruvathirai kali recipe
Share this => Twitter Facebook Email
Let see how to Cook authentic tamil food Thiruvathirai kali recipe from scratch by following Step By Step instructions..
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Shredded jaggery - 1 1/2 cup
- Water - 3 cups
- Split green gram (mung bean) - 2 tablespoon (tbsp.)
- Crushed cardamom - 4
- Shredded fresh coconut - 4 tablespoon (tbsp.)
- Cashew - 6
- Ghee - 2 tablespoon (tbsp.)
- Salt - a pinch
- Wash the raw rice in a water and rinse it. Immediately after rinsing dry roast in pan until the rice becomes golden brown color. Cool down and grind the roasted rice in a blender (mixer) and the rice powder should be like rava.
- Heat a pan add jaggery and water until the jaggery is immersed in the water completely. When the jaggery completely dissolved, strain it to remove dust and sand particles.
- Roast the split green gram (mung bean) it becomes golden brown color. Cook the split green gram by adding 1 cup of water. NOTE: To test if the green gram is cooked take one gram and press with your fingers you should be able to smash it that means the green gram is cooked. It will take 5 minutes approximately.
- Once the gram is cooked, add 2 cups of water, dissolved jaggery, pinch of salt and bring to boil.
- Now add the powdered rice little by little and mix well. NOTE: make sure no lumps are formed. Once the rice is mixed well add graded coconut, cardamom. Mix well and continue cooking.
- In the mean time roast the cashew in 1 tablespoon (tbsp.) of ghee and add to the cooking kali. Add also the rest of the ghee or more if you like too to kali.
- Continue cooking in low flame for 5 more minutes and serve. NOTE: cook to your preferred thickness.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 20 minutes, Servings : 3
Rated Recipes →
New Recipes →