Share this => Twitter Facebook Email
Let see how to Cook authentic tamil food Kootanchoru recipe from scratch by following Step By Step instructions..
- Rice or Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Pigeon pea - 1/4 cup
- Brinjal or egg plant - 1
- Plantain - 1/2
- Drumstick - 1/2
- Cluster bean - 5
- Elephant Yam - 100 grams
- Cucumber - 100 grams
- Carrot - 1
- Green chili - 2
- Drumstick leaves - 1 handful
- -- Grind to paste --
- Dry chili - 7
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Black pepper - 1/4 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Shallot (sambar onion) - 7
- -- Grid to paste --
- Shredded coconut - from 1/2 coconut
- Cumin seed - 1 teaspoon (tsp.)
- -- For tempering --
- Mustard seed - 1 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Dry chili - 2
- Oil - 2 tablespoon (tbsp.)
- Salt - to taste
- Cut the brinjal, plantain, drumstick, cluster bean, elephant yam, cucumber, carrot into small pieces.
- Split green chili into 2 pieces.
- Grind shallot (sambar onion), black pepper, 7 dry chili, turmeric powder into a fine paste by adding less water as possible.
- Grind shredded coconut, cumin seed into fine paste by adding little water as possible.
- In a pan heat oil, add the cut vegetables, green chili and sauté for couple of min. Now add the shallot paste and bring to boil and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker add rice, pigeon pea add 3/4 cup of water (or water as needed) and bring to boil. Now add the sautéed vegetables and cook for 1 whistle and keep it aside until the pressure is gone.
- In a another pan heat oil, add mustard seed, 2 broken dry chili, once the mustard seed stop splattering, add the drumstick leaves sauté for 2-3 minutes now add the ground coconut and sauté for few minutes. Add this to pressure cooked rice and mix well.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker, simmer and cook this for 10 minutes (without the whistle) and serve.
Rated Recipes →
New Recipes →