Ven pongal sambar recipe
Share this => Twitter Facebook Email
Let see how to Cook authentic tamil food Ven pongal sambar recipe from scratch by following Step By Step instructions..
- Shallot (sambar onion) - 1 Cup
- Chopped Tomato - 1
- Curry leaf - 10 count
- Coriander leaf - little for garnish
- Tamarind - small gooseberry size
- Asafoetidia powder - 1/4 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Salt - as needed.
- -- Cooking with Dal --
- Pigeon pea - 1/2 Cup
- Split green gram - 1/2 Cup
- Brinjal (Egg plant) - 1 big
- Green chili - 2
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon (tsp.)
- -- Roasted and Grind --
- Split bengal gram - 1 tablespoon (tbsp.)
- Coriander seed - 1 tablespoon (tbsp.)
- Dry chili - 4
- Coconut pieces - 1 tablespoon (tbsp.)
- -- For Tempering --
- Mustard seed - 1/4 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Fenugreek seed - 1/4 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Oil - 1 tablespoon (tbsp.)
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water and get the juice.
- Chop brinjal (egg plant) into medium pieces.
- In pan heat 1 teaspoon (tsp.) of oil and roast all the ingredients under section "-- Roasted and Grind --" and grind well without adding water.
- In a pressure cooker add brinjal (egg plant), turmeric powder, pigeon pea, green gram, green chili, 3 cup of water for 4 to 5 whistle and remove from heat. Once the pressure is release mash the dal well.
- In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds. Once the mustard seed stop splattering add the shallot (sambar onion), curry leaf and sauté until the onion is cooked.
- Now add the tomato and sauté until they become mushy.
- Now add tamarind juice, mashed dal, salt, 2 cup of water and bring to boil. Once sambar started to boil well add 2 tablespoon (tbsp.) of ground powder, asafoetida powder and cook for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Now garnish with coriander leaves. Remove from heat and serve.
- Goes well with Ven pongal. You can use this for idli and sambar
- Preparation time: 20 to 30 minutes
Rated Recipes →
New Recipes →